Did you know?
– Cucumbers are in the same family as melons and squash and originated in Southeast Asia
– There are three main types of cucumbers:
– Most cucumbers are picked and eaten in their “unripe” state. Ripe cucumbers are yellow and bitter and are common in Indian cuisine.
– Cucumbers taste different to different people. Some people say cucumbers cause them to burp or have gas. Bitterness in cucumbers is caused by a chemical compound that makes them poisonous to sheep.
– Cucumbers are made up of mostly water and are thus a great way to stay hydrated on these hot days
– That said, it may be surprising to hear that they are nutritious. Cucumbers are especially rich in lignans, flavonoids, and triterpenes which are anti-inflammatory and antioxidant phytonutrients.
Zar Ree’s Cucumber Salad with Fresh Herbs
Feel free to add other ingredients to this stir fry to make it a bigger dish—broccoli, cauliflower, or greens might be a good addition. Serve with rice to make it a meal.
– juice from 1/2 lemon or a few dashes of vinegar
– 1/2 tsp sugar or honey
– 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
– a few sprigs cilantro or mint
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– 2 green chiles or dried chile flakes
– 1 tbsp sesame oil or olive oil
– salt to taste
Put minced garlic in a bowl with lemon juice or vinegar, salt, and sugar. If using dried chiles, add them here. Thinly slice cucumbers. Whisk oil into dressing and then add cucumber slices to the bowl. Roughly chop mint or cilantro and add to the mix, along with sesame seeds. Toss and enjoy!