We’re well into summer now, and a lot of our really awesome Asian vegetables are coming in. One of my favorites are the Red Noodle Beans. They’re a type of vining bean, and can be used in just about anything you would use normal green beans for. They are incredibly prolific, and the bean pods grow very quickly once the plant has matured. It’s a deep red color, and each pod can grow 18 inches long!
I love them stir fried. Here is a meatless dish to try out. If you want to add sliced pork, chicken, or tofu, it’s easy to cook that beforehand, and add it into the green bean mix. Hope you enjoy it!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 thai hot chili pepper, or a few jalenpeno slivers
- 1-1.5 lbs red noodle beans, cut into 3″ pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and slivered
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp natural rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet
- Add the garlic and chilis first, and stir until it releases the aroma
- Add the beans, stir fry for about five minutes
- Add sugar, stir until coated
- Pour the water into the skillet, cover and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Go eat!