– since it’s strawberry season, add some berries to your salad!
– add toasted nuts to your salad—toasting nuts in a skillet or in the toaster is such an easy way to make a salad more delicious and more of a meal
– add a fried or poached or soft-boiled egg on the side
– make it a full Salade Composee or Salade Nicoise—one of our favorite meals on a hot day—use whatever you have in the fridge (eggs, canned tuna or other fish, meat of any kind, olives, capers, cheese, chickpeas)
– make croutons with stale bread—cube it and toss with olive oil and salt and put in the oven at 350 til golden brown
– use yogurt in place of buttermilk if that’s what you have around and feel like a creamy dressing
– make a classic Caesar Salad (so satisfying)
– make a classic Greek Salad
Had enough salad? Other ways to use salad mix:
– in sandwiches (this may seem obvious, but we’d forgotten how good fresh, crisp lettuce is on an egg salad sandwich)
– as a wrap—like a spring roll—fill it with mint, cucumber, basil, rice noodles, and some tender pork. Use the Fish Sauce Vinaigrette under the chili tab as a dip for these lettuce wraps.
– braise it (We haven’t tried this oursevesf, but people do it)
– add it to a stir fry
– add it to a curry (at the very end, just to wilt it slightly)