Skillet Roasted Okra with Indian Spices
This is how I like to cook okra—in a skillet hot enough that it gets crispy instead of slimy. I can’t stop eating it this way!
– about 1 lb okra, sliced lengthwise or into bite-size pieces
– a few tablespoons coconut oil, lard, or other oil suitable for high heat cooking
– 1/2 tsp hot paprika (or more if you like spice)
– 1/4 tsp ground coriander
– 1/4 tsp ground cumin
– 1/4 tsp ground fennel
– a pinch of cinnamon and/or turmeric
– a good squeeze of lemon juice (or rice vinegar)
1. Blend the spices together in a bowl.
2. Heat 2 big skillets over high heat (you don’t want to crowd the okra!) and add the oil.
3. Add the okra, cut sides down, and cook for a couple minutes.
4. Lower the heat to medium and cook until browned (about 4 minutes longer). Turn the okra over and cook til tender (just a couple minutes longer).
5. Season with salt and spice mixture. Stir and cook another minute. Squeeze lemon juice on top and serve!