Spinach is well known for its nutritional qualities and has always been regarded as a plant with remarkable abilities to restore energy, increase vitality and improve the quality of the blood. Spinach is also an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C and folic acid as well as being a good source of manganese, magnesium, iron and vitamin B2. Vitamin K is important for maintaining bone health and it is difficult to find vegetables richer in vitamin K than spinach.
Do not wash spinach before storing, as the moisture will cause it to spoil, although do ensure it is washed properly before consumption as the leaves and stems may collect soil and chemicals. Raw spinach has a milder taste that some describe as metallic once cooked. If cooking, opt for steaming, sautéeing or microwaving spinach rather than boiling to preserve the nutrients.
AVOCADO STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD WITH POPPYSEED DRESSING
A delicious spinach salad with fresh strawberries, avocados, and a simple poppyseed dressing.
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 avocado, diced (or you can double this to 2 avocados!)
- 4 ounces crumbled gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- half a small red onion, thinly sliced
- poppyseed dressing (recipe below)
POPPYSEED DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup avocado oil (or any oil, such as olive oil)
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- pinch of ground dry mustard (optional)
- salt and pepper
TO MAKE THE SALAD:
Toss all ingredients together with your desired amount of dressing until combined. Serve immediately.
TO MAKE THE POPPYSEED DRESSING:
Whisk all ingredients together until combined.